Oh my! The updates just keep coming.
Compared to the confusion from the day before with the crate measurement + payment issues, today went perfectly! Everyone in the warehouse was happy to see me because of all the free gas I gave them yesterday.
The guy who did the measuring and delivered the crate was extremely professional and showed up only 30 minutes late. He arrived at the Trans Air Cargo warehouse by the Bangkok airort with a premium quality crate. The thing was a work of art! Unfortunately, we over measured fairly significantly because I did not account for the compression of the suspension. Fortunately the length and width were good.
I didn’t snap a photo before they plastic wrapped the bike, but you can see that to crate the bike I:
- Removed front wheel
- Used ratcheted straps to compress the front and rear as well as hold the bike to the base of the pallet. They had nylon strapping available
- Put the side panniers on each of the sides of the bike
- took front wheel and put it on one side of the bike
- through the middle section where the front wheel used to live, I put my big red top bag
- riding gear on top of seat
- Helmet (warehouse folks freaked out when I told them that it cost $450 USD!) bubble wrapped and placed on non-wheel side of bike
Everything fit quite well without a serious game of 3d Tetris.
For those shipping their motorcycles and need crating work:
N&T Packing Services Co., LTD
I highly recommend them!